What To Do
In Case Of An Accident
To ensure your own safety and protection, you need to react quickly and correctly at the time of an accident getting the right information from the right people.
- Stay Calm. Turn your engine off, leave car where is, if it is safe to do so. Otherwise drive to the side.
- Check for injuries. If you think you are injured, stay in our car and ask for help or call someone. For Emergency Services call 000 – Police, Ambulance or Fire Service.
- Assess the situation. Never walk in between two cars – if one gets hit again, you could get trapped
- Provide help to others if necessary
- Call the police on 000, if necessary or if you feel threatened or the other party is acting aggressively. Police can come down the situation. Never accept fault even if you think so. Refrain from admitting fault, the insurances will establish it when assessing your claim.
- Be always tactful and courteous, even when angry
- Obtain information; Name, Address, Phone Number, Driver’s Licence Number, Registration Number, Make and Model of car, Insurance details, Street and Suburb where accident occurred and witnesses.
- Take Pictures. Use your phone and take picture of the cars, the surroundings, people and driver’s licence.
- Know where you want to get the car repaired and tell your tow driver this.
- Check the WA Police website to see if you need to make a report and keep a copy of it for yourself if you do make a report.